When I was younger, a friend of mine had her drink spiked while she was in a club enjoying a night out with some friends and family. One minute she was having a drink and the next she was on the floor, not knowing where she was or where any of her friends were, and not able to move. It was a horrible experience and she thought she was going to die.
After this experience, I began to do some research on drink spiking as I was concerned about it happening again to me or one of my other friends. I learned that spiking has risen by 160 per cent since the smoking ban was introduced in 2007 and that only 15 per cent of victims ever report it to the police.
These statistics which I found on the Roofie Foundation website at the time shocked me so much that I wanted to start my own campaign. I wanted to let people know how dangerous it can be and to look after their drinks at all times.
With the help of Fixers, some of my friends and I designed a poster and a beer mat with some key facts about drink spiking, which we took to clubs and pubs all across the south of the country. I also made a video which highlights the real dangers behind having your drink spiked and why you should always keep a close eye on your drink.
Peter Shotton, Devon and Cornwall Police
Thank you to Peter Shotton for appearing in our broadcast piece and providing information.
Dave Ramsay, Licensing Consultant
Thank you to Dave for appearing in our broadcast piece.
Sam Moore, View 2 Bar
Thank you to Sam for displaying our posters and supporting our campaign.